Chelsea Streetscape Collection
The Chelsea Improvement Company Streetscape Collection is a custom-designed line of street furniture inspired by southwest Chelsea's industrial history and its glamorous present. Designed in-house, the streetscape elements are influenced by the architecture of the nearby Meatpacking District and Chelsea neighborhoods and the retro-industrial aesthetic of buildings like Chelsea Market.
The Streetscape Collection systematically addresses the most universal urban problems with simple but effective solutions. The streetscape improvements improve the quality of life of the residents, workers, and visitors in the neighborhood by providing a better street-level experience.
The Chelsea Improvement Company Streetscape Collection currently consists of:
- trees with planting areas and tree guards
- façade lamps that illuminate sidewalks for pedestrians
- a parking regulation sign system with custom graphics
- internally-illuminated street signs that can be read from a block away
- 45-gallon litter receptacles with stainless-steel panels
- three-seat urban benches
- bike racks
The Streetscape Collection won a 2009 Silver Spark Award and the bench received a 2010 Curbed Award.